Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A favorite frugal and delicious holiday gift.... the Christmas cookie.

Most people love a bargain when it comes to Christmas shopping. Giving gifts of food is always suggested as a frugal gift. And I think most people really enjoy getting them but grossly underestimate the time and effort that goes into making them.  Especially if you are not a baker yourself.  I am guilty of this myself. I am a new baker. I never really enjoyed it before because the rules and strict instructions made me shy away from it. But then I watched "Julie & Julia" the movie about Julia Child and a food blogger and I gave it a try and love it! So this year I am making my first ever gift of cookies! Yippeeeeeeeee I get to take part in this awesome and FRUGAL holiday  gift and realize how much of a labor of love it is. Speaking of labor of love, I think only 4 of my 7 bosses are getting any. 

 

My mom's recipe that she has made for years and that we all love. It's my first time making them. My mom has been making them for 35 years. This is definitely her famous cookie. Plenty of church events, bake sales, events for all three of her children and colleagues have enjoyed this simple yet delicious cookie.


Cherry Squares

1/2 lb butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 can cherry pie filling
Powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Add vanilla and mix well. Add flour and mix well.

Spread onto a baking sheet. It will be thin. Lightly scor into squares. I usually do 6 horizontal and 8 vertical.

Place a cherry into the center of each square.

Bake for 20 minutes, cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I couldn't agree with you more with your statement, "And I think most people really enjoy getting them but grossly underestimate the time and effort that goes into making them." So far I have spent hours in the kitchen making cookies and in the end it's worth it to me when a delicious good looking cookie oh and most importantly not burnt, batch of cookies comes out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete