Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My review of "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

I am a member of a book club of 5 and I am the only member that read this one. Our track record isn't so great. I can actually only think of one book that we all read, The Secret Life of Bees, which we loved and it  inspired our name, The Queen Bees Book Club. So shout out to the QBBC, maybe this review will persuade one of you to pick this up and finish it!


So I just finished this last week. This book came out in 2009 and instantly became a hit. It is about 3 women that are working toward changing how things are in Jacksonville, Mississippi in 1962. Two are black maids and one is a white woman that has a maid herself. I hate a book review that re-caps the entire book so I won't do that but I will tell you if it's worth reading or not and it is. But I do have mixed feelings about it when I read the tons of raving reviews on Amazon. It was a good read but in my opinion not as exceptional or amazing as so many people claim.  I think the life of an African American maid in the 60's is new territory for many. An untold story. But for most black people we have heard this many times. It's our history. So I definitely think in this case your opinion may be different depending on your race. Either way, I think anyone would agree it's a great story. It is well writen and the format is nice, it's told through all three women, which I loved.


It was hard to get into but by page 100 it did become quite the page turner. I'm talking walk around the house toting it, fighting sleep to read read read kind of page turner. So read it! And let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment