Thursday, December 23, 2010

Why Yoga practice in the studio is so important to me.

Oh how I love my yoga class. And oh how I love my yoga studio. It's my me time. Mommy's time out, Andrea time. A minute to think or not think at all. I have practiced yoga on and off for 8 years. But not until about a year ago have I had a love affair with it. Before you have children you may think you need to relax, you may think that "me time" is important but now that I have a 4 and 1 year old I realize that I had no idea what I was talking about! The first time I walked into my house after my first class in about 2 1/2 years I stood in front of my husband, dumbfounded and said OK.... Ummmmmmmm.... LIFE CHANGING!!! and I was hooked. Thursday's I now had a date at 7:00pm at Dew Yoga with Jen. The infamous "Jen" who was an awesome instructor and who's class I enjoyed more than any class I've taken in the past. My husband knew how important it was so he would plan to be out of work at 6:40 so I could make it. He knew it was something special and that I was a better person because of it. I really appreciated how much he got it.

I wasn't interested in practicing at home amidst scattered toys, laundry that needed folded and an occasional "moooooommmmmyyyyy!!" interrupting my zone. Dew smelled like yoga, sounded like yoga with the most perfect yoga groove mixes and was intimate and cozy. I often thought that I'd like to actually move in to Dew. Or at least I'd settle for the occasional sleepover over in the corner in front of the bolsters and yoga bricks. But Dew was more than aesthetically pleasing, it is the yoga education I've received that has been invaluable. I of course have learned many new asanas (postures/positions) because practicing with an experienced instructor is invaluable. The leading that takes place, the adjusting and guidance and the teaching cannot occur by looking at a magazine or book or on line. I've also finally learned how important pranayama(breathing) is in yoga. I may not be able to practice asanas daily but I practice pranayama every single day. Being in a class learning the proper techniques for various pranayama is essential to learn it properly.  And when anxiety strikes I call on my beloved pranayama. I've also learned countless life lessons thought yoga that I plan on sharing with the readers of this blog. And the sense of community is so important. If for no other reason than so you don't feel totally nuts doing some of these things!

I am now confident enough to practice at home and flow in a sequence based on my feeling my way naturally through. But that would not be possible without my studio time where I am enjoying myself yes, but also soaking up the invaluable life experience of my instructor.

Is it Thursday at 7:00 yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment